Depression Treatment Center in Minneapolis
A few years ago, many of us didn’t expect our doctors to nail down the causes of our illnesses; we only asked they make the symptoms go away. But if we don’t discover the cause and eliminate it, depression recovery becomes impossible.
At Health Recovery Center we’ve seen a parade of people with different causes of their depression. The following represents the most common reasons for the depression types we test for and treat.
- A lack of norepinephrine or serotonin—these are chemicals in the brain that regulate mood
- Essential fatty acid imbalances
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies or dependencies
- Hypothyroidism, (including Hashimoto's/thyroiditis) disease
- Excessive sugar and caffeine use
- Allergic reactions to foods or airborne chemicals
- Systemic buildup of fungal molds
- Histadelia (abnormally elevated histamine—a naturally-occurring chemical in the body that regulates the immune response)
- Buildup of heavy metals in the brain (e.g. cadmium, lead, copper)
- Structural damage to the brain from alcohol or drugs, prescribed or otherwise
The Questionable Value of Antidepressants
The serotonin hypothesis states that depressed people do not have sufficient serotonin, a mood-regulating neurotransmitter, in their brains. Since antidepressants increase the firing of serotonin, these will be able to lift depression, according to the theory. This erroneous line of thought has been disproved in many studies.
- McGill University (1974) found no correlation between serotonin levels and depression.
- The National Institute of Mental Health researchers (1984) investigated the theory that low serotonin in the brain creates depression. They concluded that “elevations or decrements in the functioning of serotonergic systems, per se, are not likely to be associated with depression.”
- In 2005, Dr. David Healy, MD, wrote that “the Serotonin Theory of Depression is comparable to the Masturbatory Theory of Insanity.”
- The National Institute of Mental Health funded a six-year study at the University of Iowa, which looked at 547 people suffering from depression. They found those who were untreated with drugs were nearly seven times less likely to become “incapacitated by the depression.”
Other Side Effects of Antidepressants Include:
- Sexual dysfunction
- Loss of REM sleep, leading to fatigue and memory loss
- Birth defects: the child of a mother taking Paxil suffers twice the birth defects, and six times severe lung problems
- Parkinson’s-like symptoms
- Breast cancer and Prostate cancer— Prozac specifically destroys naturally-occurring molecules in the body that protect against these diseases.
- Ultimate failure to treat the core problem that causes depression, making it chronic
- Death by suicide
As an orthomolecular clinic, we promote healing with the real chemicals that make up the “blueprint of life.” We encourage you to look at “Anatomy of a Global Epidemic” by Robert Whitaker. This information brings attention to the high risks of treating addictions and mental health issues with toximolecular drugs and not the natural chemicals the human brain needs to regain its stability and establish ongoing wellbeing.
Depression Treatment with Health Recovery Center
Most depression treatment centers prescribe psychiatric drugs and therapy. While these methods treat the symptoms of mental health issues, they do not address the underlying cause. Health Recovery Center depression rehab approach is different. We take a holistic approach to address problems at the physical and molecular level. We work to repair the root issue instead of treating the symptoms and masking the cause.
The focus of Health Recovery Center program is similar to the biomedical/nutritional work described in “Seven Weeks to Sobriety” and “Depression Free, Naturally” by Joan Mathews-Larson, Ph.D.
It’s important to remember that depression, despite its ugly symptoms and the emotional pain it causes, is never your fault. If you are ready to seek lasting, natural treatment for your illness, contact Health Recovery Center today.